Monday, September 14, 2009

"I am" Poem

Who I Am

Write a poem called “Who Am I”. The only rule for this piece is that each line must start with the phrase “I am…”

You can take many different directions with this poem, but if you need some help getting started, consider the following:

• Where are you from (regionally ethnically, spiritually, etc)?
• What memories in your life shape who you are?
• What are your interests and hobbies?
• Do you have any mottos or credos, favorite phrases?
• What are some of your family traditions?

Definitely include:
• Someplace you have traveled (near or far)
In essence, write a poem that defines who you are. Make sure you only include information that you would be willing to share with the class. In addition, a photo of you should accompany the poem. (Feel free to decorate the poem as well!!)

Shoot for about ten lines and avoid using articles (a, an, the) after “I am…”


Here's an example of my own "I am" poem.

I AM
I am feedback resounding in your ears from the electric guitar.
I am swirling eddies along the whitewater.
I am rain soaked Frisbees buzzing by your ears.
I am heavy blankets and page turning books on Sunday nights.
I am curling waves and hard wipeouts on a surfboard.
I am cold Wisconsin, warm tropical islands, and backpacking in mountains.
I am a fly drawn into reality TV.
I am pancakes shaped like farm animals
I am the cacophony of motorbikes zipping past you in Southern Thailand.
I am taking a deep breath and figuring things out slowly.
I am peace wherever I can find it……

No comments:

Post a Comment